Skip to main content

Recipe Review: Sirloin Tip Roast

 From time to time, people have said I'm a good cook.  But I think of it more as finding good recipes.  Recipes that don't have super complex ingredients and deliver good flavor.  I enjoy the search.   For the last few years, we typically will get a bulk order of beef from a friend that raises steers.  We are going to eat beef and it's our modest effort to buy local and lessen the impact.  When you buy in bulk, you end up with some cuts of beef that can be a bit tougher to turn into something yummy that the family will enjoy.  So I'm often searching for new recipes for those cuts and a thick and lean Sirloin Tip Roast can be in that category.  We are approaching that bulk purchase time of year again so I'm trying to empty out the freezer and decided I'd pull said roast from the freezer and look up a recipe.  It was a rainy weekend so it seemed like a good chance to fill up the house with that classic pot roast aroma.  This recipe from Sunday Supp Movement reall

Book Report: When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi

I just finished reading When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi.  The book was published in 1999 and as a life-long Packer fan who also enjoys reading history books, I'm frankly surprised it took me this long to get it read.

Ultimately, a very good read.  I always knew of Lombardi as the highly successful coach of the Green Bay Packers for whom the Superbowl trophy is named after.  Most people are likely familiar with one of Lombardi's most famous sayings:  "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." This was pretty much the extent of my knowledge of the man.  He was a legendary coach with his famous Green Bay Packer sweep play and had multiple hall of fame players.  That pretty much summed up my knowledge of Vince Lombardi.

What this book helped me understand, is that Vince Lombardi was a much more complex person.  His famous phrases were just tidbits of a greater picture that really was focused on being your best.  Regardless of your profession, Lombardi's belief was to get the most of out people and push them beyond their limits to realize greatness.  It wasn't just about winning at football, it was about winning at life.

When Pride Still Mattered: A Life Of Vince Lombardi by [Maraniss, David]

The reader is given insight into Lombardi's childhood and growing up in a large Italian family from New Jersey.  He attended religious schools and played sports along the way.  Discipline was instilled in the young man by Jesuit priests.  I found it valuable to learn about his days at Fordham University and how despite his smaller stature, he was a valuable member of a successful college team.  I never realized he had spent significant time waiting for his opportunity to become a head coach.  He was an assistant at Fordham, West Point and the New York Giants before becoming the Packers head coach.

The author also does a nice job providing insight into Lombardi's beliefs on social issues that were affecting the daily lives of Americans during his career as a coach.  While some teams and parts of the country were not quite ready to welcome diversity, Lombardi was ahead of his time.  He didn't seem concerned about color of skin.  Or even if there were doubts about someone's sexual preference.  He treated people equally and fairly.  He was more concerned about a person's character and work ethic than anything that would resemble prejudice.

I also found it interesting to gain insight into his role as a father, business man and public speaker.  I had already respected Vince Lombardi for his success as a football coach.  But now my respect is stronger and greater as I have a better understanding of what made him so successful.  I believe any coach or "leader" should read this book.  And I would suggest every member of the Green Bay Packers be given a copy when they join the team.  I'm glad I read it in the "better late than never" category.




Popular posts from this blog

Fox Valley Blogger: Post Packer Draft 2022

 The most hyped "draft" event of all major sports wrapped up this weekend.  I am resurrecting the old blog today to share some thoughts on my local team.  There is a nice summary of the picks here if you are looking for more info.   Clearly, most Packer fans (including myself) were expecting the Packers to take a WR early in the draft after the departure of star WR Davante Adams who was traded to the Raiders earlier in the off-season. Day 1 of the draft probably left many Packer fans disappointed and scratching their heads.  The Packers went after defense early with two first round picks taking an ILB & DL from defensive powerhouse Georgia.  After the initial shock wore off, I started to come around to really like these picks.  For years, the Packers' front seven on defense has always had some holes to fix and it seems the Packers have finally buttoned up what looks to be a solid defense.  Also worth noting, there was a pretty early run on the top WRs in the draft wh

Product Review: Cuisinart Deep Fryer

 Hey Folks, I'm dusting off the old blog and we'll see if it sticks.  But for now I'm hoping to share some content and maybe, hopefully, it's helpful to someone.  The last few years I've considered cooking to essentially be my hobby.  I enjoy trying to make good, reasonable food for my family.  Nothing elaborate but basically simple and tasty (I hope).  And sometimes a little bit healthy.   My younger son enjoys some fried foods and frankly so do I.  At one point during the pandemic, he said, "Dad, we should get a deep fryer."  A few minutes later, I visited Amazon and found this Cuisinart Deep Fryer  . A couple clicks later we are waiting for delivery.  So it's been about a year, and I gotta say it was a pretty good purchase.  I've made french fries a few times, donuts, chicken tenders & shrimp.  Not a ton of use because I prefer to use it outdoors to avoid filling up the house with fryer fragrance.  But it's been easy to take out when nee

Recipe Review: Sirloin Tip Roast

 From time to time, people have said I'm a good cook.  But I think of it more as finding good recipes.  Recipes that don't have super complex ingredients and deliver good flavor.  I enjoy the search.   For the last few years, we typically will get a bulk order of beef from a friend that raises steers.  We are going to eat beef and it's our modest effort to buy local and lessen the impact.  When you buy in bulk, you end up with some cuts of beef that can be a bit tougher to turn into something yummy that the family will enjoy.  So I'm often searching for new recipes for those cuts and a thick and lean Sirloin Tip Roast can be in that category.  We are approaching that bulk purchase time of year again so I'm trying to empty out the freezer and decided I'd pull said roast from the freezer and look up a recipe.  It was a rainy weekend so it seemed like a good chance to fill up the house with that classic pot roast aroma.  This recipe from Sunday Supp Movement reall